Selore&S-Global is dedicated to innovative Windows and Apple laptop accessories, delving into industry-leading design and premium quality. We make every effort to meet the work & life entertainment needs of our customers, providing the highest quality, reliability and value.
Two interfaces are used for HD transmission through computer monitors, namely the DP interface and the HDMI interface.
DisplayPort abbreviation DP, is a PC and chip manufacturer alliance developed by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA) standardization of digital video interface standards. The interface is free from certification and licensing, mainly for video sources and displays and other devices connected, and also supports the carrying of audio, USB and other forms of data.
The interface is designed to replace the traditional VGA, DVI and FPD-Link interfaces. With active or passive adapters, the interface is backwards compatible with legacy interfaces such as HDMI and DVI.
It and the current mainstream HDMI interface are digital HD interface, both support a signal line to transmit video and audio signals at the same time, DP interface from the first generation has reached 10.8Gbps bandwidth, support 2560 x 1600 12bit output. DP1.2, which is currently the most available on the market, has surpassed HDMI2.0 by up to 21.6Gbit/s and supports 1080P 240, 2K 165, 4K 75, 5K 30. DP1.3 supports 2K 240, 4K 120, 8K 30. The latest DP1.4 supports basically the same, with a bandwidth of up to 32.4Gbps, but with the addition of DSC display compression stream technology, thus supporting 4K, 8K. In addition there is support for HDR packets, forward error correction, 32 channel 1536KHz and other technologies.
Advantages of DisplayPort
1. AMD multi-screen splicing technology must be DisplayPort interface.
2. Higher bandwidth, lower cost. dp interface can easily support 2560 × 1600 such ultra-high resolution display. The same resolution DP response speed is faster, DP support higher resolution. HDMI due to bandwidth constraints, the maximum unit time can only transmit 30 frames of images, while DP does not have this limitation, therefore, in high resolution (3840 * 2160 above), DP interface better, in the 1080P resolution is not much difference. The difference between HDMI and DP is the number of frames per unit of time to transmit the image, HDMI can only transmit up to 30 frames, while DP is no limit.
3. Free, the latest DisplayPort interface unlike the HDMI interface, you need to pay a certain amount of membership fees each year, but also do not have to pay for each product containing HDMI interface like HDMI interface, is the true sense of the completely royalty-free.
DP interface is only popular in the PC field and high-end displays, DP cable transmission distance is generally in about 10 meters stable transmission.
HDMI is currently the most mainstream high-definition interface, the full name "High Definition Multimedia Interface", can support video and audio, if your monitor with audio, you can achieve audio transmission, such as LCD TVs and some support for audio monitors can be, characterised by high resolution support, small interface, support for uncompressed audio streams transmission, protocol rich. The current mainstream HDMI 1.4 theoretically supports 1080P 144hz, 2K 75hz, 3840 x 2160/30hz, 4096 x 2160/24hz. HDMI 2.0 has a bandwidth of up to 18Gbps and supports 1080P 240hz, 2K 144hz, 4K 60hz, 5K 30hz. 4K 60hz, 5K 30hz. The latest HDMI 2.1 can support 2K 240hz, 4K 144hz, 5K 60hz, 8K 30hz.
Advantage of HDMI
1. A wider variety of devices support the HDMI interface.
2. In terms of popularity, it can be said that the HDMI interface has an absolute advantage, HDMI interface in daily life is obviously more than the DP interface, occupying most of the TVs, projectors and other display devices, home use of set-top boxes are now also commonly used to come to the HDMI interface, in addition, the current well-known game console platform are using the HDMI interface as a line transmission path.
So from the above we can see the difference between the two?
1. technical support AMD multi-screen splicing technology must be DisplayPort interface. Users need to support this interface through the DisplayPort data cable and display devices to connect, become the main display of three screen splicing display, and must be DisplayPort interface directly connected, can not be after any form of conversion.
2. Bandwidth support From the performance of HDMI 2.1 performance and DP1.4 has been very close, but HDMI 2.1 in terms of bandwidth and data rate, resolution, refresh rate is beyond DP 1.4, support for video specifications are also more than DP, but in hdmi 2.1 is not completely popular, then you can use the DP interface.
3. manufacturers production costs DP interface technology is free, DisplayPort interface is not like HDMI interface, you need to pay a certain amount of membership fees every year, but also do not have to be like HDMI interface, each product containing HDMI interface to pay, is the true sense of the complete royalty-free. This is why the DisplayPort interface has gained the support of many internationally renowned manufacturers.